Fall or Spring, 3 credits
In this course you’ll do an in-depth investigation into your personal mastery and the development of your reflective self along with a broad introduction to leadership theories, skills, and practices as they apply to interpersonal influence, conflict resolution, working in teams, leading systems change, and community engagement.
The course is required for the minor. It begins with the inner work of leaders of becoming reflective practitioners of personal development but then turns to the outer work of leaders working effectively with others, in teams and in organizational systems. Students explore community engagement through team-based projects.
By successfully completing this course, students will:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of contemporary leadership theories, styles, approaches and roles
- Continue to enhance self-awareness through examination of personal inspirations, values, and purposes in careers and life and how to align them with personal actions, decisions, and communications for developing personal integrity in making career choices, self-branding and promotion, interpersonal influence, and networking.
- Demonstrate skills for communicating effectively in difficult conversations such as delivering feedback, peer coaching, resolving conflict, and negotiating agreements.
- Examine basic strategies for working with power and personal influence including leading up, down, and sideways
- Demonstrate skills for building effective teams, leading groups, facilitating meetings, and for collaborative planning, decision making and problem solving processes.
- Examine the complexity of organizational systems and develop an awareness of basic strategies for developing adaptive organizational cultures
- Analyze special topics in leadership including diversity, ethics, and women in leadership.
- Create a personal learning plan and build on their leadership e-portfolio for supporting on going personal development, and identify additional courses and learning experiences to help with their personal development goals.
- Analyze principles of community engagement through pilot team-based projects.
- Establish a habit of reflection to promote continuous learning and responsible leadership including journaling and meditation